Members of APA Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill,
I would like to take this opportunity to address some of your concerns surrounding COVID-19, update everyone on the current status of league play, inform you of some changes that are to take place immediately, and make some recommendations as we move forward. I understand that people are concerned, and while this is a time that everyone must make thoughtful decisions based on their own personal situation, many of our public health officials are reminding people this is not a time to panic.
Over the last week we have been in constant communication with the APA National Office, who is helping with guidance and recommendations, they are also working with us at every turn by allowing modifications to national rules and local bylaws as needed. The APA National Office has a team of senior executives who are taking input from local, national and world authorities and working with us at APA Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill to implement their recommendations while following all mandates as well. We have also spoken with our host locations who are working in their facilities to ensure that they are disinfected for league play.
After talking with our host locations, the APA National Office and considering recommendations from many different government agencies on all levels, we are going to continue with our regularly scheduled league play with some caveats.
- We have requested and received approval to reduce the required number of matches for established players from 6 to 4. This will be in effect for all players in spring session.
- Replays will be allowed throughout the remainder of the regular session. Not extending into playoffs.
- If a team is unable to field 4 players in a given match, contact the League Office and you will be granted the ability to replay twice. Please consider splitting the cost of multiple replays between all players on the team.
- If a team needs to forfeit a match because they have players out due to COVID-19 related issues, contact the League Office and the team will receive a discount so that others do not have to cover the cost of that forfeit.
- Makeups will be granted for any team that does not feel comfortable going to league due to COVID-19 and teams will have until April 19, 2020 at 5pm to turn in their makeups and team fees.
- As of Saturday evening, Governor Cooper issued an executive order banning gatherings of more than 100 people. In order to comply with this order, some teams in divisions with more than 10 teams will be receiving a forced bye each week. We will be reaching out to Division Reps and Team Captains to let them know if they are affected by this.
The absolute bottom line is that we do not want anyone uncomfortable going to league or feeling any pressure to do so. We ask that all players try to understand that everyone has to make the best decision they can based on their own situation.
At this time, we must insist that anyone who is elderly, a caretaker for the elderly, Immunocompromised, may be ill for any reason including "allergies", and anyone who has traveled to high risk areas or events stay home out of an abundance of caution while this virus runs its course. For those of you that have traveled to one of the areas mentioned, we ask that you do not return to league for at least 14 days after your return. At the request of the Health Department, if you or anyone residing in your home tests positive for or is quarantined for COVID-19, it is imperative that you inform the League Office so that we can take the necessary precautions for others in our league. Remember the best way to protect yourself is by washing your hands thoroughly, not touching your face, and refraining from shaking opponents hands for the short term. A simple nod and wishing your opponent good luck is more than acceptable given the circumstances we are facing.
Please keep in mind that this situation is fluid and as things change so will our response. The National Office is already considering additional adjustments that will allow us to be prepared to respond as the situation changes, please do not hesitate to contact us at the League Office (919) 578-4758 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don Ward, League Operator